Wednesday, April 8, 2009

On the other hand...

...I would like the choice to get my coat re-lined (the acetate looks artfully shredded, but that's not really the look I'm going for). And, since the fabric market I am familiar with has apparently closed, it looks like that isn't an option.

I think I really just like being part of a group. Sure, most animal societies are group-oriented, but I think the ritualized shunning I was/am subjected to as a queermo makes me even more eager to be a part of a "family," of sorts. And what is an ex-pat community but a group formed by communal Otherness? I really like that; there are so many social avenues open to an ex-pat that would be closed in one's home country. Where else would I be able to meet (and befriend) such a wide variety of people--people of various histories, interests, philosophies, ages, and socio-economic backgrounds?

I will miss walking into Element Fresh on a Sunday morning and feeling like I belong.

(Also, their brunch is out-of-this-world.)

No comments: